Our Ottawa dentists may place a dental implants as part of the process to replace a missing tooth.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is artificial tooth root that is used to support a tooth replacement. Dental implants are surgically placed into bone to function like the root of your missing tooth.
Reasons for Dental Implants
Dental implants can help with a number of oral health issues in patients with missing teeth. If you're missing one or more teeth, dental implants can help to:
- Prevent surrounding teeth from shifting
- Resolve jaw joint pain or bite issues
- Improve chewing, speech and digestion
- Restore or enhance facial tissues
- Support a tooth replacement like a bridge or denture
Replacing Missing Teeth
It is vital to your oral health to replace missing teeth.
Without a dental implant and tooth replacement, the teeth surrounding the gap may begin to shift out of place and cause misalignment issues.
Over time, the jaw bone around the area may also begin to deteriorate.